Rai, in my first few months with your Mom, I must admit that I was confused a lot of the time. This confusion was the result of hearing, then trying to sort out all the stories about her family. Questions like "How is your brother half Chinese?", "Why do you know so many random words in Cantonese?" and "Why do you have six grandparents?" kept coming up.
Eventually all was cleared up and, in the process, I learned that my simple view of a world with only traditional 2-parent families would not hold if I were to understand the myriad family situations that would be presented to me in San Francisco. Any family type recognized can be found here in The City.
In the end, understanding your Mom's family wasn't so difficult. A previous marriage explained the Chinese brother and the very large Chinese side of the family that she grew up with having Grandma Wu as the matriarch and focal point of that entire clan. Grandma Wu came by for
More importantly, as you go into the San Francisco public school system, you no longer have to feel so out of place. With your Chinese side of the family, you'll be just like half your friends! Now, all we have to do is get you a Latino Uncle or Grandpa or other relative and you'll fit in with the other half of the students!
Can I be the Jewsish-Icelandic-English-Scottish-Canadian-Lithuanian-Irish Auntie? =)
ReplyDelete