By 6:15, we're both fed and wide awake. I strap you into the Baby Bjorn (a must-have parenting accessory) and we quietly head out the door. The only variation in this routine is which way
Today, Mom was especially unresponsive when we whispered 'goodbye' so we decided to do the entire 3-hour circuit which would give us a bit of everything: forest trails, a walk along Ocean Beach, some steps, hills and vistas, views of the Golden Gate Bridge, and a walk along a boulder-strewn beach.
Once we got to that Pacific Ocean lookout in Sutro Heights from which I've been attempting to give you your first true look at the Ocean, you woke up. For the first time, you weren't asleep at this incredible vista point. And so, your battle against the charms of the Ocean has come to an end. In this, round three, you were awake and curious. You looked around, at the beach, at the Ocean, at the trees and at the rising sun. I'm not sure how much you saw or understood, but at least your eyes were open for the experience.
With only two days of school left, this tradition of morning walks with Dad while Mom gets the sleep she needs will continue and grow. You strapped to my chest, walking along Pacific cliffs -- I couldn't ask for anything more!
i think i've decided i want you to adopt me! nice 3-hour walks in the morning, regular feedings, lots of press. i could get used to it! =)
ReplyDelete