Applying the same logic to your life, Rai, anything that happened more than 2 months ago is ancient history for you. So, I'm going to ask for your patience as I go way, way, way back to the year 2002. Back in that ancient year, I made my second visit to San Francisco. I had met your Mom in Korea just a half year before, and now I was coming to her home to meet her parents. A Canadian living in Korea coming all the way to San Francisco to meet his girlfriend's parents. That's pretty serious, you say? Well, yes, we were serious but, without bursting your ego too much, little Rai, you were definitely not even a twinkle in anyone's eye
Anyway, back to the story. Your mother and I were driving to her parents' home from the airport. We were quickly on beautiful highway 280 and then connected to coastal Skyline Boulevard, one of the most beautiful western approaches to San Francisco. For that first few minutes on Skyline, we were passing through Daly City, basically an extension of residential San Francisco. As we drove, your Mom told me all about Daly City and how it could very well be the foggiest place on Earth. "And just to the south of Daly City," she told me, "is Pacifica." Pacifica is a smaller coastal city "with a lot of franchises, houses and a strip mall." I remember your Mom's word's precisely. "I have a friend who grew up there. It's kind of depressing so everyone calls it
Those words left a lasting impression. For me, they were like a warning: stay away from Pacifica at all costs! And I did.
As we reached the high point of Skyline, I could see Daly City, then San Francisco layed out in front of us on waves of hills rolling all the way to the Golden Gate Bridge in the distance. Then Skyline began its descent and we were given a panoramic view of Ocean Beach and the Pacific Ocean. We were now on the Great Highway, passing dunes, wild grass, and surfers. The entire trip was beautiful and I was so excited to be back in San Francisco, one of the most beautiful cities in the world. But how could such a beautiful place be so close to Pathetica, the most depressing place on Earth?
When your Mom and I moved back to San
Frequently, while taking coastal Highway 1 south to Santa Cruz, Carmel or Big Sur, we would unavoidably pass through Pacifica. "Hey, it looks pretty nice," I would say, looking at the long beach and rocky cliffs that bordered the city. "Pathetica," Ashe would respond and I would keep on driving, silently.
Then, not too long ago, having walked every single trail and beach along the coast from here to Santa Cruz, we decided to park at a trailhead accessing the first beach in Pacifica. We were so close to Daly City still that we could easily justify
The next weekend we drove to the far south end of Pacifica, made our way up one of the ultra steep roads in Linda Mar, parked and found a trail that led to the top of that bluff. The trail passed through a fabulous stand of eucalyptus and emerged on a hidden and unknown part of the coast. It's an amazing spot high up on top of steep cliffs that we continue to visit often until this day.
Having been sold on the northernmost and southernmost spots in Pacifica, we were finally brave enough to venture into the heart of darkness. We drove into the deep canyons of Pacifica and parked near the San Pedro Canyon County Park. The Park protects the Montara Ridge, an awesome place for hiking and Pacific Ocean vistas.
We came home raving about Pacifica. Pathetica?! Where had this name come from?! This was
So, it was time for you, Rai, to see Pacifica for yourself. We drove you down to one of our favorite spots, an isolated beach along one of Pacifica's three coves. We walked Rockaway Beach, and climbed the bluff at one end. From that point, we could see secluded Rockaway Cove and the more open southern beach in Pacifica. The view was great. You blinked, smiled, gurgled some sounds, and blew bubbles -- all this meant approval.
You're quickly becoming a nature junky like us and on this, your first visit to Pacifica, you approved. You'll never hear the word 'Pathetica' come out of our lips and we know that it won't be your first word. Probably not your hundredth or thousandth word either.
These posts on your blog feel like adult bedtime stories.........warm and comfortable. All I need now is the milk and cookies.
ReplyDeletewoah the beach looks so nice
ReplyDelete