Monday, June 21, 2010

Every Day is Fathers' Day

For me, every day is Fathers' Day. Even after 14 months of your 5:30 a.m. wake up calls, Rai, I still gladly rise out of bed each and every morning, excited to see you and that excited smile and giggle you give when your door swings open. I accept with joy every blessing and responsibility that comes with fatherhood. I treasure each moment with you.
The cynic in me thought, "If every day feels like Fathers' Day, then the actual date on which Fathers' Day is celebrated is just another 'holiday' created by the oligopoly of greeting card companies." Surely Hallmark and some neck tie giant got together in the '50s and devised this plan to boost corporate profits.
So, I looked it up and it turns out that I was quite wrong. The story of the origins of Fathers' Day is a much more sentimental and heart-warming tale. It turns out that, in 1909, a lady who was raised by her widowed father, while listening to a Mothers' Day sermon, decided that fathers deserved a day which they are honored, as well. The next year, the first Fathers' Day celebration was held in her town: Spokane, Washington. Forty-six years later, Congress recognized Fathers' Day. Twenty years later, Nixon established the third Sunday of June as the day on which Fathers' Day would be celebrated. All this because one lady wanted the love and commitment of her own father to be acknowledged.
I get all the affirmation that I need from you and your Mom every day, Rai, but if this one day each year gives me the chance to think about you and the incredible impact that you've had on my life as much as I did yesterday, then I can't wait for the next Fathers' Day! Even more, if I can get a slideshow like the one your Mom put together every year, then I'll have all I need in this life. Thanks for the wonderful Fathers' Day!

P.S. -- Rai, I know you thought you had to get all dolled up for the special day, but I really think that the lipstick may have been a little much...

No comments:

Post a Comment