Saturday, January 30, 2010

What If?

The classic 'what if' scenario for expecting parents is: "What if our baby is a boy or what if she is a girl?" Many parents resolve that 'what if' after just a few months when a sonogram confirms the gender of their baby to be.
Your Mom, Rai, is a master strategist. Even after we knew you were to arrive a boy, she continued to play with all the possible scenarios. What if the sonogram was wrong? What if that was really your leg? What if you look better in pink even though you're a boy? What if, sometime, you need to go undercover as a girl? What if you you like to cross-dress?
Not a contingency was left unconsidered. Clearly, we needed to stock up not only on boy's clothes, but on clothing for a little, baby girl, as well. And so, your Mom, planned for all possibilities. In my final year of business school, I remember contingency planning being a key component of all my strategic management courses. Like a master CEO, your Mom planned and prepared like the best of executives.
As every contingency above seemed to point to us having girl's clothing ready for you, that is exactly what we did. If an ad on craigslist promoted a bag of random girl's clothing for sale, we were there. If a Mom on freecycle posted about a box of 6-12 month pink dresses ready for pick up, we were there! We were more than ready for the chance that there could be a month-long period in your first year during which you would need to pose as a girl.
That month never came. While your Mom was satisfied that she had planned for the possibility, I was unhappy that we had all this unused clothing sitting around. Trying to put that chest of clothing to use, on many occasions, I tried to dress you in girl's clothing but your Mom would have none of it (neither would your Grandma).
Finally, my chance has arrived. Mom is at one of her science classes at the Exploratorium this morning. It's just you and me, my boy. The perfect opportunity has presented itself. While your Mom may be a contingency strategist that knows no peer, I am strong in another area of management; capitalizing on a golden opportunity. A chance like this comes but once in a lifetime... let's realize our dreams, Rai!

2 comments:

  1. It took me a while to notice that you were wearing my dress when I got home (probably because you look better in it than I do!) but, it was a little shocking to see Rai wearing a pink dress. I didn't think this was how a dad and son spend quality/bonding time together without mom around, but, I certainly won't complain. I imagined you would take Rai on your bike and race through the streets of SF. Oh no, I just pictured you biking through SF with dresses on! If you do this, please don't take photos while you're biking like we did during our travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since you taken a liking to that pink dress, Rai, I thought I might start a discussion on terms you'll need to know while living here in San Francisco. Just remember this: Gay does not mean merry and lively, Rainbow refers to something different than an arc of colors, and S & M is definitely not steak and mashed potatoes at the local eatery.

    ReplyDelete