Monday, July 20, 2009

The Morphy Visit: Day 2

California's central valley has been experiencing a heat wave for the past few days. Unfortunately, when things heat up inland, the fog gets heavier in San Francisco. Where just days before my family arrived we had beautiful, warm sunny days at Ocean Beach, we now have clouds in the sky and a cold fog for much of the day.
With my family here, however, I was reminded about how easily we can take things for granted. After a morning walk along the cliffs at the north end of Ocean Beach, my sister commented on how she can understand why we are so happy living here. I was so happy to hear this because, in my mind, all I could think about was how disappointing this visit to the coast must be with all those clouds and fog.
It was breakfast time so we considered the few options in the area. The Beach Chalet, the Seal Rock restaurant, the Cliff House, or Louis'. The modest response to the elegance that is the famous Cliff House restaurant is the tiny, hole-in-the-wall style Louis' diner. As it's sign states, it has been 'Family Owned Since 1937'. I've always wanted to try it -- not for the food but for the atmosphere of this diner which probably hasn't been renovated once since 1937. The views, too, as we ate our pancakes, waffles, eggs, and hashbrowns were wonderful. The tiny diner sits virtually on the cliff's edge and windows look out into the vast Pacific Ocean.
We walked breakfast off in Sutro Park and I kept thinking about my sister's words as I tried to ignore the clouds, cold, and fog. Yes, we certainly are lucky to live here, Rai. Make sure you remind yourself of that even when the skies aren't blue or when you need a jacket instead of short sleeves.

No comments:

Post a Comment