At this point, I do not have a bucket list. However, high on the wish list that still sits in my mind was Sicily. This entire trip was designed to get me to Sicily. And, finally, I had arrived. My map was marked with all the legendary destinations, places that I had heard and read about for many years. From the ferry port, I decided on a clockwise route, heading to the south coast first and returning via the north coast. Ageless home to jetsetters, Taormina, was first. Then, Catanaia and nearby home of Archimedes, Syracuse. From there, the stunning inland towns of Noto, Modica, and Ragusa known for their baroque architecture. In the south, I could not miss the Greek temples at Agrigento and Selinunte. On the west extreme of the island, I visited the salt pans at the Laguna Marsala, Trapani, and the unmistakable fortified hilltop town of Erice.
Before arriving at breathtaking Palermo, Lauki and I got our morning swim in at the legendary beach at San Vito Lo Capo. Then it was two days of exploring Palermo including, of course, the Cathedral at Monreale. Following the rugged north coast, I spent a day in Cefalu where I, unfortunately, missed an old colleague from San Francisco.
And, with that, my journey around Sicily came to an end and I was aboard the ferry back to the mainland. Just then, I remembered: when one goes to Sicily, one must enjoy some granite. Despite dozens of opportunities, I had missed my chance to enjoy Sicily's famous shaved ice dessert. Later on, in Italy's north, I would not hear the end of it from my Italian friend...
Thursday, July 11, 2024
Summer Holiday: Sicilia
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment