Thursday, July 18, 2024

Summer Holiday: Marche

 Traveling back north from Sicilia, I veered back to the east coast. After taking the ferry over from Croatia, I had begun in Puglia and worked my way south. Now, I was back on the east coast of Italy and would make my way north from the next province up from Puglia. This was the beautiful province of Marche. Although the coast here is lovely as well, the highlights of this province are its rolling hills and ancient stone towns. The change from the southern provinces was quite dramatic. I began in the ancient and very quiet Civitella del Tronto and ended my first day in the grand city of towers Ascoli Picenzo. From there, it was a short stop on the coast at Grottammare, then back inland to Montefiore dell'Aso and Moresco before visiting the pilgrimage town of Loreto. After that, more beaches at Numana and the Ancona Peninsula. Then, it was another route inland past the beautiful towns of Mondolfo, Corinaldo, and Mondavio, through the Furlo Pass, and towards Urbino, perhaps the most stunning of all of Marches old, stone villages. After Urbino, I had just one last stop in Marche, the town of Gradara, before heading to the next province and San Marino...



























































































































No comments:

Post a Comment