Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Summer Holiday: The Four Sea Circuit

 We have to begin here: this journey was one taken only by me (Maciej) and Lauki (our doggy). Ash and the boys traveled home to San Francisco for the summer. I was left behind to take care of Lauki and Lauki was left behind to take care of me. Therefore, as you read on and browse the stories to come, know that this was a very personal journey with no photos of the boys, no family photos -- just beautiful places and lots of photos of Lauki. Once in a while, every 100th photo or so, you'll see me, as well.

Lauki and I are kindred spirits:  there is only so much time we can spend laying on the couch, staring at the front door before we run towards that door and swing it open, anxious to see what adventure lies on the other side of it. So, the morning that I dropped Ash and the boys off at the airport in Belgrade, I just kept on driving west, into Bosnia and Hercegovina, heading for the coast of Croatia. From Split, the next morning, we would take a ferry across the Adriatic Sea, headed for Bari in southern Italy.

This would be the beginning of a 7 week circuit, following four seas: the Adriatic, the Ionian (once beyond the "boot" of Italy), the Mediterranean (once on the south side of Sicily), and the Tyrrhenian (when wrapping up along the north coast of Sicily and into that coast of Calabria).

First, though, I had to get to Split, which meant a full day drive across Bosnia and Hercegovina. Making this traverse, I spent time in Sarajevo, Konjic, and Mostar, and the evening in Split -- all well-worth the stop.  Lots more adventure ahead...























































































No comments:

Post a Comment