I know that a decade has passed because I just got a pair of brand new shoes. This is a rare
occurrence -- like I said, it comes but once every ten years. Sure, along the way, friends and family take pity on me, seeing my toes poking through the soles of well-worn shoes or flip-flops and pass on to me some hand-me-down shoes or pick up a pair of used shoes for me somewhere.
But, a brand, spanking new pair of shoes -- that is a rarity in my life.It was my birthday the other day. Your Mom and your Grandparents conspired to find for me a good pair of shoes and a great pair they did find! The hottest shoe on the market (no, they're not Jimmy Choos!) are Vibrams, shoes made to fit your foot like a glove. Literally. They're skin tight and each toe has it's own compartment. Yup, just like those socks with the individual toes.

Well, it took several weeks and plenty of visits to sold-out shoe stores, but your amazing Grandparents came through -- they found my size!
Rai, this family of your Mom's takes care of my feet. In fact, if I
remember correctly, just weeks after we first met, your Mom brought back from Hong Kong a great pair of hiking shoes for me after noticing that I was hiking in the snow with my toes sticking out during our first date in Seoul! Hmm... I guess I exaggerated, then. That was nine years ago so I guess it hasn't quite been a decade since my last pair of new shoes.
Maybe if I took better care of my feet I wouldn't feel as tight and tense as a man made of metal.The one pair of shoes per decade tradition is one I'd like to keep up, Rai. You recently got a pair of shoes from your Grandparents so, if I'm doing the math correctly, we won't give you your next pair until you're about 11 years old. Hopefully your feet don't grow too much until then.
No comments:
Post a Comment