Friday, September 17, 2010

Better Late Than Never

One of my favorite spots in the world, Rai, is a place called O'Rourke's Bench. This beautiful stone bench, cut into the rock of the foothills of Mt.Tamalpais in 1927 is a place that I've written about before. On a clear day, the views from the bench are a sweeping panorama of the Ocean, the hills, and San Francisco far below. The plaque on the bench is a tribute to a man named O'Rourke who loved these hills. "Give me these hills and the friends I love. I need no other heaven."
Rai, I agree. So, it was my only birthday wish to have a picnic at O'Rourke's bench with you and your Mom. We couldn't make it last week so, today, we drove up with your Babcia and Dziadek. The fog was incredibly thick and high. On a typical foggy day, you sit above an ocean of fog while at the bench. Today, we could barely see a dozen feet in any direction and were wet with fog. Still, sitting on O'Rourke's Bench, my 33rd birthday felt complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment