Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Independence Day

We spent the July 4th long weekend at the cabin with our friends Nikki and Todd. Todd and I are Canadians so we really should have called it the July 1st long weekend in honor of Canada Day. Personally, I prefer Independence Day long weekend because any trip to the cabin gives me a feeling of freedom from the responsibilities of life in the city.
Rai, remember that peak that is visible over the valley as we drive into Markleeville? That's Mt.Raymond and, like you, each time I've looked across at that rugged, snowy ridge, I've thought about hiking to it's base and have even considered a summit attempt. This past weekend, while you lay in your crib at the cabin, sleeping the day away, Todd and I hiked to Mt.Raymond. The hike exceeded my already grand expectations. Following the Pacific Crest Trail, we quickly rose to 8000 feet and wound our way around hills that offered panoramic views across the hills to the east and into Nevada. Under Mt.Raymond, after a long ascent in the snow, we made it to the incredible Raymond Lake. From there, the only way down was to 'ski' down, following the icy creek's steep descent through a still snowy ravine.
You'll understand soon enough that every guy needs these 'adventures' and Todd and I were lucky to have this one. One day soon, you'll join me on many a hike like this one where trails are irrelevant and bouldering and sliding the norm. Oh, your Mom just reminded me that we spent three, not just one day at the cabin so I guess I should mention that there was more to this trip than just our stellar hike. During the other two afternoons we did some great hikes with you, Mom and Nikki too!

1 comment: