Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The World in your Own Backyard

There are many famous quotations about travel. Some of the best are ancient Chinese proverbs. One says: "Walking ten thousand miles is better than reading ten thousand scrolls." Of course this isn't to be taken literally and says much more about the difference between experience and knowledge than it does about travel itself. Still, over the years, I've gravitated to dozens of quotations like this one to inspire, justify, and validate the travels that monopolized several critical years of my life.
Like any conventional wisdom, there is always a similar expression that expresses the exact opposite sentiment. Not long ago, I came across another Chinese proverb. "He who has never left home is wiser than he who has traveled thousands of miles." That proverb hasn't left my mind since the day I heard it. It's often that way with things that are completely contrary to your beliefs and way of life. It's like the very words attack the very things I have held as most important in life. The Buddhist in me, however, easily relates to these words. A life spent in simplicity, the inward journey, is much more powerful than any voyage of diversions and attachment to the fleeting wonders of this world.
The message of this post, however, was meant to be much simpler, Rai. What I wanted to say is that you are lucky to live in a place like San Francisco where you do not have to travel more than a few miles to experience the wonders of cultures thousands of miles away. Right here, in your own backyard, you have things to experience from all over the globe. Enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment