Thursday, April 29, 2010

Ride #2 (of 657)

A little while ago now, we took you for your first ride in your new bike carriage. For a handful of reasons, you haven't ridden in the carriage since. Today was the day that the hiatus would come to an end. Today was the day that you'd once more roll down the streets of San Francisco inside that little palanquin on wheels.
With four soft blankets inside to keep you cozy and warm, five books to flip through, a selection of your favorite toys, and some snacks to munch on inside, this was a nothing short of a princely chariot. As I got on my bike, I looked back giving you a knowing glance. Your comfort and satisfaction is paramount. Few travel so luxuriously, Rai.
Not 2 meters from our front gate, I heard your first cries of complaint. I had done my all to create the perfect space and still, a dissatisfied customer. "Ah! Ah! Wahh!" You're never shy to let us know when you're unhappy. "What is it? I don't understand?" What could be missing? Champagne? A steaming towel with which to wipe your little baby face?! Oh, wait, I got it! I forgot the caviar, right?!
I checked on you, put up a shield to block the sun, and continued our trip downhill to Golden Gate Park, trying to ignore your cries. All the while, I kept telling myself, "please let this be a 'what's happening -- this is new!' kind of cry. And, that's exactly what it was. Once you got used to this new situation, your cries of complaint turned to the 'ahhs and oohs' of supreme comfort. You finally noticed the effort that had been put into making your carriage the perfect place for a one year old. The rest of our ride was heaven... for both of us. With this success behind us, I'm already counting the number of voyages we'll make -- let's see, 4 more years, riding about every second day... Great -- that's more than 650 more rides to come!

2 comments:

  1. 650 rides? Maybe you should be Little Prince instead of Little Dude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I do say so, sir, I am impressed with the tenacity with which you commit to this regime. A strength of will is its own reward. Keep this lesson, Master Rai.

    ReplyDelete