city. The event was an international world's fair named the Panama-Pacific International Exposition. Held in 1915, it honored the completion and opening of the Panama Canal the year before. More than
18 million international visitors came to San Francisco, each marveling at the incredible achievement this event represented, just nine years after the great earthquake of 1906.For those who know this city well, a look at a map of the exposition grounds is shocking. Stretching from the Presidio to Fort Mason,
All buildings were built in a disposable manner. They were built of plasters and light materials. The plan was for them to be demolished following the closure of the Exposition. Again, when we see photos of the grand
Many say that it is amazing that the Palace of Fine Arts remains. The Palace is beautiful, but I can't help feeling sad whenever I see it, knowing that it is the only structure that remains from a complex that was truly incredible. I find it even
No comments:
Post a Comment