Sunday, July 24, 2011

Rescue Attempt

A morning isn't complete if I haven't gone for a one or two hour walk with Ko. He's up by 5:30 a.m. and if we haven't left the cabin by 6:15, he starts getting pretty restless and noisy. I could say that I'm taking him out just to give Ashe and Rai some peace and quiet while they sleep in but, the truth is that these walks are something I wouldn't pass up -- they are some of the best bonding time I've had with little Kotaru.
Early one morning, during one of these walks, we found a baby bird lying in the dirt. I quickly assumed that he had fallen out of a nest. Unable to find a nest, I "rescued" him, bringing him back to the cabin in my camera bag. Later, at the General Store, we bought some seeds and worms for the baby bird but he wouldn't eat any of it. I decided to call the regional animal rescue hotline only to find out that it's quite normal for baby birds to be found on the ground at this time of year. Their fledgling, learning to fly. During this awkward period of time, their mothers will continue to feed them, even out of the nest.
So, it turns out that my attempt at being a hero turned sour. We released him in the town park hoping that he could fend for himself or that one of the mother birds in town would take care of him. Considering that, we can call this story what it really is: a memorial for "Birdie".


No comments:

Post a Comment