Monday, August 30, 2010

Where's the Nearest Place we can Get Some Perogies?

Yesterday was Ukraine Day. A series of powder blue and yellow balloons lead us through Golden Gate Park to the bandshell where the Golden Gate Park Band played Ukrainian folk songs to hundreds of festive Ukrainians dressed in traditional outfits. The clothing, colorfully embroidered reminded me of Polish folk costumes. In that moment, too, I felt transported back to Winnipeg, a city of thousands and thousands of Ukrainians.
And then, Rai, in perfect unison, your Mom and I, "Let's get some perogies!" It's impossible to think Ukraine and not think of perogies too. Having unsuccessfully searched for perogies in San Francisco before, we approached a lady that looked like she knows her perogies.
"Are you from San Francisco? Do you know where we could find some good perogies?"
She was an out-of-towner, but a friend of her's, speaking only in Ukrainian, jumped in, telling us about a few blocks on Geary where good perogies could be found. Soon after, we were in the car, driving along Geary's Eastern European cultural corridor. In search of the perfect perogie, we stopped at three delicatessens: a Russian one, a Ukrainian one, and a Polish one. We got a little from each place, ready for a taste test. The sauerkraut and mushrooms perogies from the Polish deli were best, but the Russian bakery had a good fried, mushroom perogie. As I ate the leftovers for lunch today, Rai, I thought: "Yes, we'll be back again soon."

No comments:

Post a Comment