Dear Rai, there will be many firsts for you in these coming days, months, and years. Each time an

important 'first' occurs, we will celebrate and document it. Some 'firsts' will be small, others will be big. This past week, while at the cabin for Thanksgiving, we celebrated a very big 'first' for you.
One evening, blue skies hid behind a sky covered in

low clouds. In the evening, as we sat relaxing by the fire, we saw the first snowflakes falling outside the windows. Soon, a steady snow was falling and distant and near trees alike were lost behind swirls of white powder.
The next morning, we awoke to find that the world outside our

cabin walls had been completely transformed. For the first time in many, many years, Rai, I experienced a feeling of exhilaration and excitement that I hadn't experienced for years. The first snow. Everything covered in a thick layer of perfect, untouched, white powder. Not since leaving

Winnipeg had I seen a first snow like this one and, at that moment, I remembered what joy can be gathered from that moment, that first glimpse of a world turned to white.
And, if I was feeling this way after having gone through the same thing many times over, I could only imagine how you would feel. It was hard to know what you were thinking when we put that giant snowsuit on you and took you outside. Your eyes

scanned the forest you thought you knew and, immediately, you reached for the snow all around. The coldness of it surprised you but, as always, shock was quickly replaced with curiosity.
While you enjoyed the snow, I looked over to where our car had been. Now, just a snowbank shaped like a car stood where the car had been. I dug it out and wondered how we would drive up the driveway and to the

road, which was also completely buried in snow. An hour of digging, snowchains, and second gear got us nowhere. In fact, all we got from all the effort was a flat tire. Now we were really stuck.
We called in the tow truck to haul us out. The entire time, I secretly hoped that it wouldn't show so that we'd be snowed in. It would have been great to hide out in the cabin for a few more days, missing a day, or two, or three of work. No such luck.
Your first snow. You observed and played with it. You wondered about it.

You walked in it. And, you went sledding in it. Eventually, you wanted out of it not because of the snow itself but rather because you couldn't handle life in that spacesuit of a snowsuit we had bundled you in.
Just be thankful, Rai, that the snow like your father had experienced while growing up wasn't accompanied by the temperatures I had grown up with in Canada. If so, you'd need much more than that thick snowsuit to keep you warm.


No comments:
Post a Comment