Friday, April 1, 2011

They Don't Make 'Em Like They Used To

It's hard to miss those old snowshoes, skis and backpack up on the wall in the cabin's living room. They may once have been used for outdoor activities by Grandma and Grandpa, Rai, but now, they've been retired and are simply decorations, items to add some warmth to the decor in the cabin. Looking up at them, pinned to the wall, we couldn't help but wonder: do they still work?
Short on snowshoes yesterday, we decided to test out snowshoes on the wall. Ashe grabbed the new pair of snowshoes -- all fancy aluminum tubing and adjustable straps. I grabbed the old snowshoes -- nothing but wood and leather. We parked at Pickett's Junction, strapped on the snowshoes, and began our walk along the creek. Just a minute out, Ashe called out from behind me. "Are you sinking in like I am?" She was almost knee-deep in snow. I stood comfortably, floating on top of the snow. "I'm okay."
Ashe caught up and we compared our tracks. Her tracks were large, elliptical, one foot deep holes in the snow. My tracks were perfect looking, inch-deep impressions on the snow's surface. Clearly, they don't make 'em like they used to. Now, we're taking a closer look at the other items on the wall. Next time I go to Kirkwood, I might just bring those old,wooden skis instead of my new fiberglass snowboard. And next time we go hiking, why not use that old, canvas backpack with wooden frame instead of my new REI one.
Why stop there? That large, rectangular painting in the kitchen might be a much better sled than the cheapy, plastic ones we've been using. Maybe Rai would be more willing to ride down the hill on an oil on canvas image of the Half Dome instead of our red sled!

No comments:

Post a Comment