Sunday, September 27, 2009

M-I-C-K-E-Y

A couple weekends ago, Rai, you and I had a 'boys day out' since your Mom was in class all day. Knowing that this would probably be the only strictly father and son day that we would likely have for months (if not years!), I made sure to plan in an activity that clearly says: "I am a boy". And, nothing says 'boy' like Mickey Mouse.
We had been given a special preview pass to San Francisco's newest museum, the Walt Disney Family Museum, by some friends and I knew that there is no more perfect way for you to assert your boyhood than to put on a Mickey Mouse hat and visit a museum devoted to cute, animated characters.
Lucky for you, your Uncle Sterling and his wife Nicole had had a custom Mickey Mouse hat embroidered with your name made for you last time they visited Hong Kong Disneyland. The hat, still a bit loose, was a big hit at the museum. I could see the employees eyeing your hat, likely thinking about the royalties they could collect if they could get the museum to merchandise hats just like yours.
The museum is outstanding, following the entire life of Walt Disney in modern and engaging, hands-on exhibits. The effort put into every display of this big museum in the Presidio is something that adults may enjoy more than kids, but still, you were patient and observant as I slowly wandered from room to room.
Back out on the front lawn in front of the museum while we planned out our next big boy's day out, I marveled at just how much your face can change from one hour to the next. In the morning, your face is bright and energized. You're well rested and eager to get the day started. On the lawn, you were tired and ready to nap and your face expressed your needs exactly. Your eyes were barely open and every muscle in your face seemed to droop in fatigue. There's only so much Mickey anyone can take, even you!

No comments:

Post a Comment