Thursday, September 3, 2009

It's High Time To Get to the Jolly Jumper

Rai, one of my favorite books begins:

Call me Ishmael. Some years ago -- never mind how long precisely -- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen, and regulating the circulation. Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off -- then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can.

There's something about that paragraph that captures the sense of adventure within me -- that urge to escape, disappear, to sail away on sea or land. The words speak to something inside of me, the same thing that has inspired your parents to take a few trips around the world.
Your grandparents tell us that there is a little bit of me, in you. You too are already a bit of a restless soul, a born adventurer, curious about everything around you, eager to experience as much as possible.
Rai, we've introduced you to four or five large activity centers -- some you stand in, some you lie under -- and all have been only marginally entertaining for you. Why? Because, whether upright or lying down, you are stationary. You're not a stationary kind of guy. You're a mover, a doer. So, we finally found the perfect toy for you: the Jolly Jumper.
This classic infant toy allows you to stand inside a comfy seat while suspended from a doorframe by a giant spring. With your feet touching the floor, you can walk around and, more importantly, jump around to your heart's delight. Instantly, it has become your favorite.
While in your Jumper, it's like you're sailing over the floor, traveling to imaginary places far and wide. To celebrate this new stage in your life, we dressed you up as a 'sailor' and let you enjoy the Jumper this evening. As we watched the sun set over the Pacific from our balcony, you giggled in your wonderful vessel, the Jolly Jumper.

Your story could go something like this:

Call me Rai Sequoia. Some days ago -- never mind how long precisely -- having nothing particular to interest me in the apartment, I thought I would jump about a little. Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth then, I account it high time to get to my Jolly Jumper as soon as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment