Monday, April 9, 2012

Noodles

Every time we visit San Francisco's Japantown, I find another reason to love this neighborhood. On our last visit, we went to a noodle shop is known for its fresh noodles, made in house daily. An antique noodle press machine sits proudly in a front window display, a great conversation piece. While Rai and I were taking a closer look at the machine, the chef slid the glass door open, went inside and turned on the machine. To our surprise, this antique still functions and is the actual machine that they use to make their noodles! The entire process was great fun to watch and it reminded me of similar restaurants I went to in Tokyo -- restaurants that specialize in a specific dish and pride themselves in preparing every ingredient (including the noodles!) on site! And that takes me back to why this is another reason to love Japantown: this neighborhood is like a tiny piece of authentic Japan transported across the Pacific and planted right in the heart of San Francisco. Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment