Sunday, May 31, 2009

Identity Crisis

Rai, one main change we've seen in you as you power through your second month of life is the awakening of your personality. You have all kinds of moods now and so many ways to communicate your feelings with us. We understand every one of your movements, facial expressions, and grunts.
And, as you develop your personality, you're inevitably working on your individuality. "I'm not just any baby... I'm me!" you're always telling us. Unfortunately, on this path to self-actualization, you've run into a bit of a hurdle. The hurdle is the multitude of cultural and national backgrounds to which you are connected. It has become clear to us that, considering all that mixed blood that's coursing through your veins, you're having a bit of an identity crisis.
Just last week, we found you rifling through that drawer of cute little onesies that make up most of your wardrobe. One moment you were wearing red and white, holding a scarf with a maple leaf on it, as if to proclaim "I am Canadian!". Then, like a teenage girl getting ready for the first dance of the year, you tossed that outfit to the side and stood in front of the mirror wearing another. This time, all red and in your hands, a tiny American flag.
After that, it was a teeny Japanese yukata robe with dragon print. "I feel a strong connection to the land of my conception," you were telling us. Still uncertain, you tore off that yukata and threw on some more red. This time, the red over white flag that represents our motherland Polska could be seen on your chest.
Finally, as if finding a solution to your identity crisis, you threw on a black costume with a bat symbol on the front. "I am Batman!" Or, were you saying, "I'll never know my true identity so I must wear a mask"?
We've got news for you, Rai: one's identity continues to change and grow throughout one's life even when you're an old-timer like your parents. The most important thing is that no matter what identity you take on at one particular period of your life, you maintain the constant threads that are kindness, hard work, a reverence for nature, and love.
And so, we leave you with a quotation from that famous Broadway musical...
Who am I?
Can I conceal myself for evermore?
Pretend I'm not the man I was before?
And must my name until I die,
Be no more than an alibi?

2 comments:

  1. interesting that all the countries have red in their flags... what's the probability of that happening, math mac?
    love,
    kanadian kate
    ps-i think his true identity is canadian!
    pps-i don't think he's jean valjean... is he? although i do love les mis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute. He's a little sweetie. Love the blog. ~ Adria

    ReplyDelete