Saturday, August 1, 2015
Five Hours in Seoul
On my way back to San Francisco, I had a day in Seoul. Once immigration in and out of Korea and transport to
and from the airport had been subtracted, I had exactly five hours to walk the streets of Seoul. Five hours to relive and reminisce one of the best years of my life. Five hours to reacquaint myself with the city that had given me the most important thing in my life. Looking for culture and history, I knew I had to start at Gwanghwamun. While I wanted to visit some of my favorite historic spots in the city, I also wanted to see some new things, to see how Seoul has changed over this past decade. I began with a walk along a 5 kilometer portion of the old city wall. Back when we lived in Seoul, for security reasons (North Korea had nearly burrowed under this portion of the wall), the northern part of the city wall along Mt.Baegak had been closed to all visitors. A few
years ago, it had been opened for day hiking. It's still heavily guarded but it was an amazing experience to walk the ancient wall, reaching the peak, and enjoying the great views along the way. Once I had descended back down to the heart of Seoul, I visited the newly discovered historic quarter of Bukchon, visited Seoul's best palace, Changdeokgong, and walked a few kilometers along the recently restored Cheonggyecheon Creek right in the center of one of the busiest commercial areas in the city. The creek restoration project had been a huge, 2 year project and included the removal of an 8 km stretch of elevated highway. Although I did see some changes in this great metropolis, I was much more surprised at just how little Seoul has changed. Seoul's soul has remained remarkably intact. It's almost like I had never left. Until next time, Seoul and here's hoping that you hang on to all those things that make you so beautiful!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment