Rai, as soon as I found out I was pregnant with you, I quickly got on Craigslist and scouted for

the most essentials baby items: Hallowe'en costumes, Hallowe'en costumes and finally, more Hallowe'en costumes. I don't think there is a mother in North America who doesn't dream about that first Hallowe'en with her baby. Dressing her baby in an adorable Halowee'en costume,

taking a hundred photos and then sending them out to everyone she knows with such pride. This is what it's all about.
For months before your arrival I picked up Hallowe'en costumes for you in every neighborhood of San Francisco and even in the most unexpected of places. I did not discriminate -- if I found a dirty, flea-infested Hallowe'en

costume on some street corner, I picked it up, threw it in a plastic bag, washed it, and added it to your ever growing collection. My only criteria: it's cute.
At six months of age, Rai, you have an eclectic collection of about

fifteen Hallowe'en costumes! For the last month, I've been trying to devise a way you could pull off wearing all fifteen costumes in one night. My plan began falling apart when you made it quite clear that "late nights" for you ended at 7 p.m.
Thanks to the Golden Gate Mothers Group, Hallowee'n began a week

early and you got to wear your first costume (the classic 'baby pumpkin') last Saturday. You were nothing short of adorable! We took you to Julius Kahn Playground in the Presidio for the GGMG festivities. But , your own personal Hallowe'en parade didn't end at that party.
Keeping your Pumpkin suit on, we then made it to the Outer Mission for

burritos and dessert, and finally to the Noe Street Harvest Festival. Every person that saw you, would exaggerate every syllable as they said, "Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, look at that adorable pumpkin! He is so cute!" and every person would stare at you until you were out of sight.
Many parents asked where I got your pumpkin outfit and even though I

have a great memory I just couldn't remember if it was actually someone's house in Ashbury Heights or in the gutter near Clement Street or maybe it was at a home in St. Francis Woods. It was definitely one of the three.
You were the center of attention at Cafe Gratitude -- mothers and

grandmothers picked you up, squeezed you, kissed you and a mariachi singer gave you kisses as he sang to everyone in the restaurant. And if your cutest wasn't enough, you entertained everyone by your fascination with the ceiling fans at the restaurant and swiveled

your head as fast as the fan went round and round. Everyone laughed (with you) and smiled even more.
Hallowe'en hasn't even arrived yet and you have already made it the best Hallowe'en I have ever had! Thanks for indulging me by smiling and laughing with each costume we put you in. I'll tell you one day which ones were found in the gutter.




No comments:
Post a Comment