Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Channeling Iz

Having started his formal musical training at just 4 months of age, Rai is somewhat of what one might call a prodigy now and is well on his way to virtuoso status. I'm not sure what the policy is over there at Music Together on Sacramento Street, but Rai seems to be advancing quite fast. It seems that every month or so Grandma and Grandpa are telling us that Rai has moved up to the next level.
Teacher El is Rai's mentor. The week she brought in the cello, Rai talked about it for days. This week, she came to class with a ukelele. Rai was immediately smitten with this exotic instrument. A toddler-sized guitar that is considered a real instrument! What could be better?
So, Grandma dug up her old ukelele and gave it to Rai. Today, we couldn't pry it out of his fingers. He let go only when eating. He even brought it when we went for a walk in the park. His careless strumming was better than anything I can do on my guitar and Ko enjoyed the serenade immensely. Listening to those idle chords, I swear I heard some Israel Kamakawiwo'ole in there somewhere. With that, enjoy Iz's most well known tune while watching a slideshow of little Ko!


No comments:

Post a Comment