boats. They played with stuffed animals and wooden blocks cut into shapes. They climbed in play structures and swung in nets and swings. They splashed at water stations and worked on simple art projects. Then -- all of a sudden -- the San Francisco Bay was discovered ! That is the story of how the San Francisco Bay and the Bay Area were
discovered hundreds of years ago.What?! Does that even make any sense? Something about that discovery story didn't seem right to me. Where were important names like the Ohlone, Drake and Portola? I was left wondering if the Bay Area Discovery Museum was actually what I had always thought that it was. Was this actually a museum devoted to the discovery of the Bay Area? Looking again at all the toddlers running around in a space that is nothing more than an entertainment park for young kids, I had to conclude that the conclusions I
had made about this museum (if you can call it that) based solely on its name, were all wrong.It's a good thing we came here as a family. I didn't get my Bay Area history museum, but Rai got his giant playground. I'm trying
to imagine the shock of tourists who may end up here expecting the same thing I did. It's definitely an out-of-the-way journey across the Golden Gate Bridge, to Fort Baker to visit this museum. To avoid any confusion or disappointment, I
think I'll write to the museum folks to consider a name change. The 'Fort Baker Giant Playground' or the 'Marin Children's Play Zone' or the 'North Bay Play Center' may be more appropriate names. Somehow, I don't think my suggestion will be taken too seriously.
Rai~~~ Lovely cute boy~!
ReplyDeleteI had a very limited access to internet to take care of my twin boys (now 16 month old)Now I am back to work (still in SIEMENS) and can have a break to look through my friend's web site. I will update you my recent story whenever I can have a break. from Yuri