Tuesday, June 28, 2022

World Champion Warriors!

 Way back in October when there was some early season speculation that the Warriors, with Klay Thompson's return, could be back this year, all of us Warriors fans had to remain cautiously optimistic. The year before, the Warriors had the worst record in the league and over the most recent season, they had done better but were unable to qualify for the Playoffs. Yes, Steph had just finished the year as scoring leader but was that enough for them to push for another championship?  

Over the year, I followed the Warriors carefully, following their highs and lows. By the time the Playoffs rolled around, the Warriors had shown both reasons for and reasons against their ability to make it to the Finals. As they rolled through each series, however, we became, collectively, more hopeful. I have to admit that, as Boston demonstrated their dominance in the East, that I was worried about the Warriors' ability to defeat this young, strong, and long team on the rise. 

The Finals were thrilling. Steph continued to dominate. The Warriors showed that, once again, Strength in Numbers was enough to win at the highest level. Then, even more excitement -- we could potentially be part of the celebration. As Game 6 neared, I looked ahead to Game 7. Monday, June 20, the evening that we would arrive in San Francisco. I started to look at Game 7 prices online. $1200, out of the question. But, I could join the watch party outside Oracle Arena...

Game 7, however, was unnecessary. The Warriors won in Boston in Game 6. Champions again for the 4th time in 8 seasons! I could still celebrate... When would the victory parade be?  I waited until the announcement. When it came, disappointment. It would be on the afternoon of Monday, June 20. Again, we would arrive in S.F. in the evening of that day. My once in a lifetime chance to be part of the Warriors' championship games and celebration had passed me by.

All that was left for me was a visit to Oracle Arena. Flags, posters, and t-shirts around town reminded me of the Warriors' great season but I felt alone in my celebration save for a few knowing nods and acknowledgements when I walked the streets of the city in my Warriors gear.  

One of the best outcomes of this past season has been Ash's gradual acceptance of my Warriors fandom and, eventually, her own citizenship in Dub Nation. Imagine my shock when, after Ash had mysteriously disappeared for a weekend, I saw a photo circulating online of her, courtside at a Warriors game, sitting right beside superfan Jimmy Goldstein himself!














No comments:

Post a Comment