Sunday, October 20, 2013

Bathhouse Culture

While living in Japan, I completely embraced the custom of bathing in public. It began with frequent visits to onsen, natural hot springs. However, when finding onsen around Tokyo became difficult, I tried the next best option, the sento, or public bathhouse. Sentos may not be natural, tranquil, and rustic like many onsen, but the essentials are there: pools of varying sizes filled with hot water. By my second half year in Japan, I was a Tokyo sento connoisseur. I knew where all the best ones were hidden away whether that meant a tiny outdoor bathhouse tucked away in a quiet, bamboo garden in some centuries old neighborhood or a glittering modern spa-style sento on the 30th floor of a building overlooking the downtown skyline. Ever since then, I have dreamed that public bathhouse culture would somehow move westward. It hasn't. Spas are common here, but the $3 a visit, public bathhouse where people meet, talk, and soak is a dream I'll never see realized. A while ago, however, Ashe and I discovered Albany Sauna and Hot Tubs. It's an 80-year old, Finnish style sauna in the East Bay which offers a 1 hour soak in giant redwood tubs followed by an authentic hot rock, scented sauna. It may not be a sento, but its rates are reasonable and the experience is certainly relaxation at its best. Last Monday was a holiday for us but not the boys so we made our second visit. Too bad tomorrow is not a holiday again...



No comments:

Post a Comment