was no mystery as to the meaning of the statement. There was a banner on the wall that made my message clear. "Happy Birthday, Mr.Flisak", it read. Building a reputation as a teacher takes equal parts self-promotion and self-deprecation. Later in the lesson, we solved word problems about just how stinky is Mr.F.
Teaching definitely keeps me young and I'll need lots of that now that I'm almost in my mid-thirties.The good news is if the teaching fountain of youth dries up, I've got my boys and Ashe at home to keep that spring in my step, too. And, my birthday couldn't have been any better. Rai sang "Happy Birthday to Daddio" to me and told me "happy birthday" many times over the course of the day. I got another Batman t-shirt. We went out for a couple dinners. But, just spending some time as a family, walking around in the Mission and Castro was the best present I could get. Family. Nothing beats it.

No comments:
Post a Comment