Sunday, November 8, 2009

Happy Birthday, Mom!

Mom, you celebrated your 31st birthday last Tuesday, Nov.3. In the morning, as I sat in my usual spot on the couch, I saw you searching for gifts from Dad hidden around the apartment. Having found them all, you read a card with poetry in it that brought tears to your eyes. Unfortunately, as it was a normal weekday, I only had an hour with you both that morning before you dropped me off at Grandma and Grandpa's house. You disappeared, going to work, and I was left wondering what I could do to let you know how much I love you, on your birthday.
Being and infant and not even able to crawl yet, I am capable of very few feats that require movement of any kind. That kind of limited me in what I could plan for your birthday. I do, however, have one thing that I can do and am very good at. That is to bring smiles to people's faces and warmth into their heart. I know that I do that every time that you see me. So, that was my plan, then. On your birthday, I would bring a smile to your face, Mom but I didn't want to wait until you returned to pick me up after work.
It didn't take much to convince Grandma to drive me over to Galileo High School so that I could surprise you there. I knew you'd be so happy to see me. Apparently, Dad and your friend Nikki had already beat me in the 'surprise' department. Dad's students had visited your room to sing 'happy birthday', carrying signs that read "Mr.Flisak loves you!". That was all good but I had to pause a bit worried when they shouted "make another baby!" Hey, I'm the baby in this house. Nikki was also there with flowers and a picnic lunch.
Despite those surprises, you were still overjoyed to see me and didn't want to spend your birthday any other way. We had the rest of the afternoon together and went out for dinner at your favorite place (Cafe Gratitude).
To the most wonderful Mom in the world: Happy Birthday, Mom. I love you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment