Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Portlandia

 It all happened pretty quickly. In the summer, Ash flew up to Portland to visit her cousin and her new baby. In the span of a few days, Ash decided that Portland is a nice town. Following that, for about a month, she secretly browsed Redfin, researching the home market in Portland. One day, as she does, she floated the idea of buying a place in Portland to me. After planting that seed, she waited a couple of weeks, then showed me a potential home online. Soon after, we were gathering our funds from several bank accounts around the world and were preparing to make an offer and to close a deal on a condo in southeast Portland. 

As part of the journey, I had to travel back to Riga in order to visit our bank, in person, so that I could transfer our euro to our U.S. account. This turned out to the be toughest part of the entire process as, due to several complications, I had to extend my stay in Latvia and, until the end, it wasn't quite certain that I would be able to move our funds. All worked out, of course, and the best part of it all (other than buying a place in Portland) was that I got to visit Latvia and stay with Linda for a week during our Fall holiday. And, with all that, without having seen the place in person, on October 25th, we bought a condo in a beautiful, wooded community, somewhere we may or may not ever live.


















































Swedbank, please give us our money...


And, without further ado, a quick tour of our new place in Portland...


















Job done, it was back to Belgrade for me...


No comments:

Post a Comment